Search A n R

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Green apple and Gourd seeds chutney (thuvayal)

I grew up seeing my amma make use of every possible part of a vegetable.And I follow suit. I wrote about snake gourd seeds Thuvayal / chutney. >>Here. I generally come up with thuvayal on the spur, but never write down any recipe. I am used to going blank when someone asks me for a recipe...believe me I just cannot get down to writing down stuff (snob!...so excuse me that I am just putting up the picture of sauted ingredients. :P)..I forgot to click a picture after the grinding...lol...

Pic: shutterstock.com



All you need : to serve 2 (generously)
Green Apple (I used granny smith)..- 1 (big one!)
Snake gourd seeds - 1 cup
tamarind - (pulp)- 1 tsp or say the size of a marble (or lesser)
salt, turmeric, asafeotida
cumin - 1/4 tsp
mustard seeds- 1/4tsp
urad dal - 1/4 tsp
chana dal - 1/4 tsp
curry leaves - 4
corainder /cilantro - 1/4 cup
red chilli- 1
coriander seeds - 1 tsp
oil - 1/2tsp

process:
Temper mustard seeds, cumin, dals, red chilli, curry leaves and coriander seeds
Add snake gourd seeds and apple (cubed)
salt, turmeric powder, asafoetida/hing and saute until the seeds loose their raw smell
add cilantro/coriander leaves and leave it covered for a minute
take it off the stove and cool before grinding. Add the tamarind pulp or the soaked tamarind while you grind the thuvayal

Easy isnt it!

PS:
Tried a variant - gauva (jamakaya) as well and I loved that chutney too.
I use these chutneyz as my salad dressing...they lend a sweet and tangy flavour..yum!

6 comments:

  1. Wow this chutney is truly tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  2. it does taste great with idli and dosai priya...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I was mulling over a chutney fest on scatter the batter! And then I find this :). Was thinking of having a whole week of chutney recipes from everyone after the salt n peppa carnival is over. So I hope you'll send in something as unique as this chutney recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Anu thats a lovely idea...i ll be more than glad to join in...:)..i love blog parties :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Innovative recipe...love it...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytoocokrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. hai first time coming here..very nice recipe..its totally new for me..hm...chutney by using apple and snake guard seed.....super....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails