Search A n R

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Rose Pulav (beetroot biryani variation)

I had mentioned about my aunt's beetroot pulav earlier and had posted my version of beetroot biryani in that post...I showed her the post and she got back with her exact recipe. I am more than happy to share it here. She mailed me a detailed version. Love her attention to detail. I can never compete with a thorough professional..right!

Enjoy!

Ingredients:
raw rice - 1 cup
beetroot - 3
onions - 2
red chillies - 3
coconut grated - 1 small cup
cumin seed - 1tsp
mustard seeds - 1tsp
curry leaves - 10 to 15
red chilli powder - half tsp
salt - to taste
oil- 3 to 4 tsp
cardamom, cinnamon & cloves - 2 each
clarified butter (ghee) or Oil of your choice - 1 1/2 tsp

1. Peel skin of beetroot. cut it into huge chunks and boil in 4-5 cups of water. when the beetroots are cooked, take out the beetroots and grate them. Do not throw away the water in which the beetroots were cooked. Measure 2 cups of the beetroot water(if less, top it up with water).

2. wash, clean & soak rice for 10 mins. drain and keep aside for 10 mins.

3. In a pressure pan, heat one teaspoon of oil. add cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. fry for a minute. add the drained rice and saute it till the grains fall separately.

4. add the beetroot water (which we had kept aside), a little salt for the rice and 1 teaspoon of ghee. close lid, put on the weight and cook for 3-4 whistles.

5. To the grated beetroot, add coconut, red chilli powder and a little salt. mix and keep aside.

6. take a thick-bottomed kadai. heat 2-3 teaspoons of oil. add mustard, jeera(cumin seeds) and pinched red chillies. Next add sliced onions and curry leaves and saute till light brown. add the grated beetroot mix and saute it for about 4-5 mins, stirring on a low flame. close lid and cook for 2 mins.

7. open the pressure cooker. mix the rice and the beetroot mixture gently till evenly mixed. grease the pressure pan with half teaspoon of ghee. put the rice and the beetroot mixture in it. cook for 2-3 mins on a low flame. garnish with fried cashewnuts.

Do try this and let me know how it turned out.


With lots of love,
Usha Manni.

I am posting this pic to link you back to my previous post on beetroot biryani.



Enjoy and take care!


PS: This is her recipe and I just quoted her here! take care

2 comments:

  1. hey sudha, avial and rasam is perfect for chennaites like me...i run an home design solution blog..i simply love ur blog name..

    ....hope to see more...

    DeepaRaman
    http://lifestylecoutures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi deepa
    thanks for stopping by and for the comment..I m a total foodie myself...Had this name in mind for my future restaurant...So the closet I got to it is to name my blog "Avial and Rasam"... :)

    take care

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails