Search A n R

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Onion Chutney with Red Apples

As I already told you, I experiment a lot with ingredients and flavours. My husband is my only taster and reviewer.

Now coming to what I actually wanted to write for this post, dinner menu for today: Idli, arachuvitta vengayam saambhaar, dosai molaga podi drenched in til oil, coconut and groundnut chutney, and the star of the day - Onion and tomato chutney with the sweet twist ;-).

Nothing out of the world about this recipe, I just added a red apple to the usual onion tomato chutney I make. Onion tomato chutney requires you to saute diced onions and tomatoes in a tadka (tempering) of mustard seeds, jeera, the dals (moong, chana, urad), red chilli, curry leaves, hing (asafoetida), turmeric (haldi). Add a little salt to suit your taste. Here is how it looks when it is done sauteing.




Now add a few cilantro/coriander leaves (I add a few mint leaves at times). Then let the mixture cool and grind them into yummy chutney for dosai, idli or oothappam. This time around I chopped an apple and sauted it with the standard list of ingredients. The chutney tastes good and looks great. I also make a green apple chutney with til, will post more on that later. Before I go here is what the chutney/thuvayal looks like.





















If you dont eat/like onion chutney, try a version of cabbage-tomato thuvayal with the apple twist. It tastes equally yummy I use this thuvayal as a sauce for pasta on a "down with pain" day.

Come, lets have dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Unique combinations of ingredients. I am really curious to try this one... but I have to find a way to convince my mom to let me give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey

    Do give it a try pa...it tastes great! :)..you add one clove of garlic as well (if you like it)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails